Open PositionsSpay/Neuter and Clinic Veterinarian
Spay/Neuter and Clinic Veterinarian
Reports to:Executive Director
Hours:Part-time, Full-time potential for the right candidate
The Estelle Marcus Animal Clinic is seeking a veterinarian to join our growing spay/neuter and wellness clinic.
The Estelle Marcus Animal Clinic (EMAC) is a non-profit high-quality, high-volume, low-cost, spay/neuter and wellness clinic located at the Humane Society Calumet Area (HSCA) in Munster, IN (approximately 25 miles South of Chicago, IL).
The veterinarian is responsible for performing 25-35 surgeries per day on public and shelter animals, performing preventative health and wellness programs, ensuring all clinic staff members are adhering to proper peri-operative care of patients, medical protocol, and daily record keeping.
Essential Job Functions
- Examine animals pre-op to determine their ability to undergo surgery
- Perform surgical sterilizations
- Supervise post-op rechecks, and oversee order of medical treatments as necessary to ensure complete surgical recovery
- Perform wellness services and provide recommendations for follow up and preventive care
- Supervise cleaning program for prevention of infectious/zoonotic diseases
- Continue research and maintenance of safe and efficacious medical protocol regarding anesthesia and surgery
- Supervise handling and recording of controlled substances by veterinary technicians
- Actively promote spay and neuter, and educate clients on responsible animal ownership
- Actively support associate staff and volunteers, and promote the development of skills related to the advancement of our goals and mission
- Supervise veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, and veterinary interns
- Represent the EMAC and HSCA in a professional and courteous manner at all times
- Provide quality service to clients, volunteers, and staff recognizing their individual contributions to the success of our organization
- Develop medical programs and community outreach along with the Clinic Director and Executive Director
A DVM degree from an accredited school of veterinary medicine, a license to practice veterinary medicine in the state of Indiana and DEA license eligibility are required. High-quality, high-volume spay/neuter experience is preferred.
Please email your cover letter and resume to Rachel Delaney, Executive Director at email@example.com or mail/drop off resumes to 421 45th Street, Munster, IN 46321.
Reports to: Head Kennel Aide
Kennel aides work directly with the animals and the public. He/she must have an understanding of good customer service and the ability to communicate with members of the public and volunteers. Kennel aides must be able to do a difficult job with diplomacy, maturity, flexibility, and good judgment. He/she is responsible for making sure that all the animals and customers are well taken care of.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Willing to take on other duties and projects as assigned
- Ensures that the public receives accurate information and friendly service
- Is responsible for making sure each and every animal has food and water with a clean cage and has the proper bedding
- Performs the duties of an animal care worker as needed. Works collaboratively with workers to achieve shelter goals
- Will require to work well with the public to adopt shelter animals
- May be required to finish multiple tasks in a work day
Skills and requirements
- Education: High school diploma required
- Proven ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Strong organizational, planning and critical thinking skills
- Licensing: A valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance
- Must be able to lift at least 80 lbs
- Must have excellent customer service skills
- Kennel aides are frequently exposed to odors or airborne particles including animal fur and toxic chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment can be extremely loud and fast-paced
- Must be able to lift at least 80 lbs
Please email your cover letter and resume to Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail/drop off resumes to 421 45th Street, Munster, IN 46321.
Please contact the shelter at 219-922-3811 or email us email@example.com with any questions concerning shelter employment.