Help Prevent Animal Cruelty
April is Animal Cruelty Prevention month. You can help stop neglect by educating people you know about proper pet care and prevent cruelty by advocating for stronger anti-cruelty laws that empower effective enforcement and include harsh penalties combined with counseling to prevent repeat offenders.
Here are a few ways you can make a difference:
Schedule a speaker from your local humane agency to talk at your church or any clubs you belong to, as well as your child’s scout group, day-care center, and school.
• Distribute pet care and behavior pamphlets from your humane agency to your coworkers or friends with new pets.
• Put together packets of treats and a pet-care book or video to give to friends who’ve just gotten a new pet. Include spay/neuter information, tags, and a vaccination record book.
• Obedience lessons make a great gift for a new puppy.
• Support initiatives to strengthen your state’s anti-cruelty laws.
• Write to your paper and TV station whenever animal cruelty stories appear. Tell them you support strong penalties for these abusers.
• Contribute to or volunteer at your local shelter, where you can make a difference in the lives of animals that may have been neglected or abused.